Monday, February 8, 2010

Fun at work

well, we sure had a different sort of weekend, but as I look back on it, I'm glad it worked out the way it did. Friday was starting out to be a normal day. We have to go out on Fridays for a little Montessori class and since we drive right by, I decided we'd start stopping at the nursing home to visit a few people there. I explained this to Joel and he seemed excited, but of course when we got there he was pretty shy. I was glad by the end though, that he warmed up to one lady and even gave her a hug. Yay! The rest of the day went well, until we got home in the late afternoon. Joel was over-tired and wasn't able to figure out that what he needed was a nap, so a battle ensued. Sometimes I feel like I really don't know what to do in a certain situation, and this was one of those times. I knew he was just too tired and needed to go to bed, but because he was so tired, he was fighting me through all the necessary steps to get him there. I don't like spanking him when he's in that state, but I honestly don't know what to do. Of course, after the fact I always think of what I shouldn't have done...very frustrating. Anyway, I had a long talk with God that afternoon, and He really helped me to trust him and to have a good attitude, which as it turned out, I needed to get through the evening. Av ended up having to work really late, so we were on our own all night. Normally I really struggle to stay positive when something like that happens, but I'm so thankful that this time was different. I really can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Joel and I ate leftovers and watched Up. I actually enjoyed spending a little bit of extra time with my buddy (even though I was missing my best buddy). Av also had to go into work on Saturday (this was a unique set of circumstances) and he invited us to come along. First, we went out to breakfast to try to spend a little time together before he had to work. I brought lots of toys for Joel, and we bounced his ball down a hallway, colored, played with silly putty, and he even took a nap under a desk. I don't think I'd want to do it every day, but it definitely made me feel closer to Av, knowing a little more about where he works. It was a long day, but I was glad we could make it a little nicer for him.
On a completely different note, I discovered a few months ago that if I play Bible songs in the car, it makes a huge difference in Joel's attitude. Instead of complaining, he sings along, and I usually get them stuck in my head, which can be annoying, but they're probably a good thing to have stuck in one's head I think. I was thinking about this because we went grocery shopping today, and I think those songs made it a little better for both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment